Ok we have had a few people wonder how the heck they can get started on this crazy healthy lifestyle change, so I decided I will put in my two cents to see if I can help you win The Giveaway
1. Go through all your food cupboards: Get rid of anything that has sugar, brown sugar, corn syrup etc. listed on the ingredients. Some natural products may have many grams of sugar but if it comes naturally form fruit than that is fine. Disclaimer: Don't go crazy throwing out bread or crackers etc with a minimal amount of sugar as the 10th ingredient! We aren't trying to break your budget or drive you mad!!
2. Cut out all soda entirely including diet. Drink only 100% fruit juices and Herbal Teas with honey chilled as a substitute. A pitcher of water in the fridge with lemons or oranges ready to fill your water bottle helps me fight off the urge to drive-thru McDonalds for my old $1 fix.
2. Go shopping for some basics:
Large jar of Raw Agave syrup (Sprouts),
Pure maple syrup ( I have found this cheapest at Costco in bulk)
Natural Peanut Butter
Fruit sweetened Jams
Unsweetened Dried Fruit
Fruit Juice Sweetened Yogurt (Cascade from Sprouts or Mountain High from Fry's or Greek with Honey)
Natural Apple Sauce
Fresh and Frozen Fruit for smoothies (and a good protein powder if you like that as a breakfast substitute)
3. Log onto our blog to make some sweet recipes.
4. Just eat normally and substitute these sweeteners when needed. You will be surprised how easy it is once you have made that commitment.
Sample Meal Plan
Breakfast: Oatmeal with apple sauce and maple syrup, whole grain pancakes/French toast with fruit syrup (frozen fruit blended with agave or maple syrup), Fresh fruit and yogurt protein shake, eggs and toast with fruit jelly
Snacks: Nuts and dried fruit, honey popcorn, crackers apples and cheese, apples dipped in PB
Lunch: Salad with nuts and veggies with vinaigrette dressing, Amy's low fat Bean and cheese burritos (from Costco), a quick PBJ sandwich,
Dinner: Normal dinners with tons of veggies, whole grains, roasted sweet potatoes (Yummy)
Dessert/Snack: Frozen yogurt Popsicle, banana bread with chocolate drizzle, fruit cobbler, cookies etc.
The bottom line: YOU CAN DO IT!