Sunday, January 2, 2011

Blueberry Apple Crisp

3 large apples chopped(I used Fuji because they are naturally sweeter and still hold up to baking)
1 small container of blueberries (these are $1 at Fry's right now)
the juice of 1/2 lemon
3 Tblsp of Honey
2 tsp cinnamon
2 Tblsp flour

Combine all of the above in a bowl and then transfer to a greased baking dish (8x8). Crumble together the following:

2 Tbsp butter
2 cups rolled oats
2 tsp cinnamon
2 Tblsp Turbinado sugar (or you could use coconut or palm sugar, Tubinado is minimally refined, but it is the closet thing to raw sugar you can buy in the U.S., I use it very sparingly)

Use the mixture to top the fruit and bake at 375 for about 45 min or until bubbly and apples are tender.
Makes 6 generous portions.

This was sooo delicious and plenty sweet. It takes a bit of work, but a great Sunday dessert! The leftovers will be great warmed up some fat-free fruit juice sweetened vanilla yogurt. (I use the Cascade brand from Sprouts)

Plan out your snacks for the week and leave us a comment. Tomorrow I will put up a post with our favorite snacks and craving busters!)

2 comments:

  1. Ok, I'm in. But can I have sugar on the weekends for the first month?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried that and I didn't have enough will power to just have it on occasion so I went cold turkey. I would suggest to just try completely without for a month instead of one year and see how that goes. Just a thought..

    ReplyDelete