Sunday, June 5, 2011

Confessions and Chocolate-Zucchini Heaven

We go with friends for memorial day each year to a cabin and we indulge! I decided this year would be no exception and I would take a "free" weekend off to enjoy what I had been missing. And I did!! From the peanut M&Ms to the wonderful cheesecake I ate and overate. I learned a few things about myself. First, moderation is not one of my strong suits when it comes to sugar. It is either all or nothing for me. The nothing is great...the all part, not so good. I just felt gross to put it mildly. The food was wonderful and I have great cooks for friends, but the binge was not kind to me. It has been very easy this week to stay clean of anything white or refined. I noticed how when I eat sugar, I also crave other fatty foods and soda. That nasty little soda craving comes creeping back when I fall off the wagon. So for now I'm back "off-sugar", as my kids call it and enjoying the challenge of making healthier treats again. Somehow I feel like I have to use my brain a little more to face the challenge of making healthy taste good and I realized how much I enjoy that aspect of this resolution.

So with all that said and a ripe banana and my garden full of squash as inspiration these little babies were born. Enjoy!

This has become one of my new blogs to stalk looking for yummy deserts, check her out:

http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2011/06/03/theres-a-zucchini-in-my-cupcake/

Chocolate-Zucchini Muffins ( I changed a few things in the original recipe to make it sugarless)

Servings: 12 cupcakes or 36 minis
  • cups flour
  • ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa
  • tsp baking powder
  • ¾ tsp baking soda
  • ½ tsp salt
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1 whole banana, mashed
  • ½ cup raw sugar
  • 1/4 cup coconut oil (the original recipe uses all applesauce, 1/2 cup, if you want fat free)
  • 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
  • ¼ cup almond milk (the hint of nut flavor makes this great!)
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 cup shredded zucchini
  • 3 Tblsp honey
  • 3 Tblsp Agave
  • 1/4 cup Sucanat or palm sugar
Instructions:

Preheat oven to 350F. Grease muffin pan and set aside. If using paper liners, lightly spray inside of liners with cooking spray to prevent sticking. Whisk flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon together. In another bowl, cream mashed banana with applesauce, oil and sweeteners. Add in milk, vanilla, zucchini. Stir until evenly combined. Add flour mix to wet mix in 3-4 batches and stir until just combined. Spoon batter into greased muffin pan and bake 18-25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.

Something about the cinnamon, chocolate, banana mixture if wonderful. Going to try to create a good cream cheese frosting to top these with next time.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Lanae, I'm using this today! I was looking for a zucchini muffin recipe, I have shredded zucchini galore in my freezer and want to use it up on a yummy baked treat/breakfast. :)

    Also, thought I'd share, I found this the other day, such great information!

    "In 2009, Dr. Katherine Phillips of the University of Virginia's Food Analysis Laboratory reported that consuming unprocessed sugars could increase antioxidant activity the same as a serving of berries or nuts. Dr. Phillips used a ferric-reducing ability of plasma (FRAP) assay to measure changes in iron oxidation in blood. Refined cane sugar, corn syrup and agave nectar had negligible FRAP scores of 0.01 millimoles per 100 g. Raw cane sugars such as Sucanat scored 10 times higher at 0.1 millimoles. However, Sucanat's score was half that of maple syrup and significantly lower than honey at 0.7 or dark molasses at 4.6."

    p.s. I haven't found your email - send it over if you get a chance!

    ReplyDelete